Inherited Traits and DNA Activities
for Middle School Science
The resources below will provide students a comprehensive understanding of inherited traits and DNA. All of the following lessons are also included in the Kesler Science Membership.
The Inherited Traits and DNA 5E Lesson includes materials for every "E" phase, including the Inherited Traits and DNA Station Lab for Exploration and an interactive PowerPoint with digital INB templates for Explanation.
The lesson also includes introduction materials for Engagement, student-choice project ideas for Elaboration, and assessments for Evaluation.
After completing the Inherited Traits and DNA 5E Lesson, students will be able to recognize that inherited traits of individuals are governed in the genetic material found in the genes within chromosomes in the nucleus.
The Inherited Traits and DNA Inquiry Lab is a hands-on activity that is differentiated for advanced, on-level, and modified middle school students.
Students will be able to identify inherited and acquired traits of their classmates.
The Inherited Traits and DNA Inquiry Lab includes a brief reading passage, comprehension checks, hands-on activities, reflection questions, and a CER conclusion.
These year-round activities will increase your students' understanding of many middle school science topics. All of these activities are also included in the Kesler Science Membership.
Visual Data & Graphing
You're not alone if your students struggle with understanding graphs, charts, and tables. It's a skill that takes an enormous amount of practice. This resource will help students build a strong foundation in analyzing data and creating their own data visualizations.
Bell Ringers and Warm-Ups
These middle school science bell ringers are an excellent way to engage your students as soon as they walk into your classroom. This comprehensive FULL YEAR resource includes everything you need to start off each science class with an interesting warm-up activity.
Review Board Games
Each game board has been carefully designed to keep students engaged. There are 10 different action spaces on each board and dozens of question cards. All of the actions are related to science concepts and keep the students motivated throughout the game.
Each game is ready to play. Simply print out the board and the cards and let the students enjoy reviewing nine different units.
Essential Questions and Standards
Below are the essential questions and standards associated with the lessons and activities included in the inherited traits and DNA unit. This topic is only one of more than 100 middle school science topics included in the Kesler Science Membership.
- What are inherited traits?
- How are traits governed by the genetic material found in the genes within chromosomes in the cell nucleus?
- MS LS1-5 - Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how environmental and genetic factors influence the growth of organisms
- MS LS3-1 - Develop and use a model to describe why structural changes to genes (mutations) located on chromosomes may affect proteins and may result in harmful, beneficial, or neutral effects to the structure and function of the organism
- TEKS Science 7.14 A - Define heredity as the passage of genetic instructions from one generation to the next generation
- TEKS Science 7.14 C - Recognize that inherited traits of individuals are governed in the genetic material found in the genes within chromosomes in the nucleus
Kesler Science Membership
Imagine never having to search for another middle school science lesson again. The membership gives you access to ALL of the Kesler Science products in one place (Yes, including everything above).
Say goodbye to long hours of lesson prep.