Characteristics of Organisms Activities
for Middle School Science
The resources below will provide students a comprehensive understanding of characteristics of organisms. All of the following lessons are also included in the Kesler Science Membership.
The Characteristics of Organisms 5E Lesson includes materials for every "E" phase, including the Characteristics of Organisms Station Lab for Exploration and an interactive PowerPoint with digital INB templates for Explanation.
The lesson also includes introduction materials for Engagement, student-choice project ideas for Elaboration, and assessments for Evaluation.
After completing the Characteristics of Organisms 5E Lesson, students will be able to identify the basic characteristics of organisms, including prokaryotic or eukaryotic, unicellular or multicellular, autotrophic or heterotrophic, and mode of reproduction, that further classify them in the currently recognized Kingdoms. They will also be able to compare the results of uniform or diverse offspring from sexual reproduction or asexual reproduction.
The Characteristics of Organisms Inquiry Lab is a hands-on activity that is differentiated for advanced, on-level, and modified middle school students.
Students will create new organisms to fit within the current kingdom classification system. They will then trade organisms with another group and attempt identification.
The Characteristics of Organisms Inquiry Lab includes a brief reading passage, comprehension checks, hands-on activities, reflection questions, and a CER conclusion.
These year-round activities will increase your students' understanding of many middle school science topics. All of these activities are also included in the Kesler Science Membership.
You're not alone if your students struggle with understanding graphs, charts, and tables. It's a skill that takes an enormous amount of practice. This resource will help students build a strong foundation in analyzing data and creating their own data visualizations.
These middle school science bell ringers are an excellent way to engage your students as soon as they walk into your classroom. This comprehensive FULL YEAR resource includes everything you need to start off each science class with an interesting warm-up activity.
Each game board has been carefully designed to keep students engaged. There are 10 different action spaces on each board and dozens of question cards. All of the actions are related to science concepts and keep the students motivated throughout the game.
Each game is ready to play. Simply print out the board and the cards and let the students enjoy reviewing nine different units.
Essential Questions and Standards
Below are the essential questions and standards associated with the lessons and activities included in the characteristics of organisms unit. This topic is only one of more than 100 middle school science topics included in the Kesler Science Membership.
- What are the basic characteristics of organisms?
- How do these characteristics classify organisms into kingdoms?
- MS LS1-1 - Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells
- MS LS1-2 - Develop and use a model to describe the function of a cell as a whole and ways parts of cells contribute to the function
- MS LS1-3 - Use argument supported by evidence for how the body is a system of interacting subsystems composed of groups of cells
- MS LS1-4 - Use argument based on empirical evidence and scientific reasoning to support an explanation for how characteristic animal behaviors and specialized plant structures affect the probability of successful reproduction of animals and plants respectively
- TEKS Science 6.12 D - Identify the basic characteristics of organisms, including prokaryotic or eukaryotic, unicellular or multicellular, autotrophic or heterotrophic, and mode of reproduction, that further classify them in the currently recognized kingdoms
Kesler Science Membership
Imagine never having to search for another middle school science lesson again. The membership gives you access to ALL of the Kesler Science products in one place (Yes, including everything above).
Say goodbye to long hours of lesson prep.